Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Cloud Bread Review

Okay! So last night I decided to try and make "cloud bread" which is a low-carb bread imitation. I kept seeing it all over Pinterest and health food blogs, so I needed to try it for myself to decide it's real-ness.


I've been avoiding packaged bread for the past several months, and now I'm really starting to miss sammiches, so hopefully this will be good for my lunch today!


Ingredients:

3 eggs, seperated
3  tablespoons of something dairy-based and thick: cottage cheese, yogurt, cream cheese etc. (I used yogurt)
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar (or lemon juice or vinegar as substitutes)
1 tsp of sweetener (my yogurt was sweet so I omitted this)


Procedure:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Get out your electric mixer and two large bowls, one glass. Add the yolks of the 3 eggs with the dairy ingredient and sweetener. Mix well. In the (clean) glass bowl, beat whites and tartar until very stiff, about 3 minutes. In 3 equal batches, fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture.


On well greased baking sheet, dollop the mixture into 8-10 equal "buns" about 4-5 inches diameter and an inch thick.

Bake for about 25 minutes, or until they have brown tops and edges. Mine stuck quite a bit to the pans, so if this seems to be the case for you, make sure you use a sturdy metal spatula and loosen them quickly. Let them cool on the sheet completely and then store in an airtight container. They become chewier overnight, and less like meringues.



So I will update after I try to use two of these for a spinach, tomato, and clover sprout sandwich today!


Nutrition (per piece):

Calories: 24  Fat: 1 Carbs: 1 g Sodium: 28g Sugar: 1  These will vary depending on the dairy you choose.


Alright so here's a picture of my lunch:


It looks a little weird...and it was. A little weird. The "bread" didn't really hold up to the weight of the produce. I did have a genius idea, though: Strawberry Shortcake.  Here's my idea: whip up some whip cream, get some fresh strawberries, and douse with a little agave and you'll have a healthy version of strawberry shortcake. Mmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts!