Wednesday, May 22, 2013

20 Minute Treadmill Interval Plan (and why you should try it!)

picture from treadmillreviews.com


The past 3 weeks or so I've been incorporating intervals into my treadmill routine at the gym. I realized that the Tabata-style workouts that have helped me lose fat are easily done on a treadmill, too! I used to just do a walk to warm-up, then a slow run pace for 2 minutes and my regular/difficult pace for the next 15-20 minutes. Here's how I changed it up ( and kept things interesting...)

Warm-up at 3.6 mph for 2 minutes

Jog at 6.0 for 8 minutes

Jog at 6.2 for 3 minutes

Intervals: alternate between 6.2 and 8.0 every 30 seconds for  5 minutes

Jog at 6.0 for 1 minute

Cool-down at 3.6 for 1 minute

That's a 20 minute workout! Not only does it burn more calories, make the time go quickly, and keep you present and focused on your workout, but it increases your body's endurance for more regular activities, like cycling (Burgomaster, Hughes). Basically, doing sprint intervals makes your muscles more efficient at using your body's energy. Never doing boring old runs again? Me either.

I have noticed that my endurance is increased from doing these sprint intervals a few times a week: my legs feel more svelte when I go on steady state runs outside for my dog. I've started doing some sprint intervals outside, too, to try and get Sadie swole.


If you're interested in reading the article I used for my information, here is the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts!