Monday, February 18, 2013

Meet my wolf

This is Sadie. She is a three-year-old Red Siberian Husky. I adopted her from a sad and lonely crated existence when she was nine months old, and we've been bros ever since. The part of our relationship that was rocky was the dreaded walk. If you're a husky owner I'm sure you know the "You pull me, I pull back harder" mentality, and it is not fun. When I first got her we did the normal Petsmart puppy training, which was great for sit and stay, but did nothing for her loose leash walking. Then we hired a personal trainer for a cool $450 and three hour-long sessions. I should have gotten my money back.

Last spring my mom saw a video from a website which led us to take a course with Off Leash Training in June 2012, and it's been awesome! She's the kind of dog that needs a little more encouragement with training, so the e-collar was my saviour. It was definintely our last resort after spending about $750 on different trainers to get her leash-etiquette in check...and it surely wasn't cheap, but it was the only program that worked! So now I don't dread walking her in the slightest! I don't even leash her, she just walks right next to my left leg without complaining. In the summer we hike at least twice a week, and I can't wait until it's warm again to get our butts moving on the trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts!