Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Smoothies, Smoothies, Smoothies



I've been drinking fruit and veg smoothies for breakfast most days for the past couple weeks and I can't tout how great I've been feeling enough! I seriously never used to look at breakfast as an opportunity to pack more veggies into my day, but now I feel like my day is less than perfect if I don't get at least two servings before 8 am. I'm sure you all know how to make a smoothie, but do you know how to mask the taste of veggies in one? Here's my general recipe:

1.) Use about 1 to 2 cups of fresh raw leafy greens: spinach, kale, and romaine are my go-to's (Field greens may be too bitter, but test it out if you like them!)

2.) Use about and half cup of a crunchy veg: I do peppers, cucumber, or carrots

3.) Add about 1 cup of almond milk (or coconut milk, coconut water, steeped and cold fruity or green tea, etc.)

Blend until you have a nice, liquid-y puree.

4.) Add some fruit! Stick to about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of fruit--I usually do at least half and apple, a whole banana, and either fresh fruit like strawberries, mango, or peaches, or some frozen fruit like blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries. Anything works, but stay away from melon because it tends to separate in a weird way...

5.) Depending on your mood you can add extras like herbs such as mint and basil, or fats like almond butter or coconut oil. If you're craving extra sweetness add a little stevia, some dates, or some agave. About 1/4 of the time I add cocoa powder for a chocolate shake.


If you prefer a creamier texture, add cottage cheese, greek yogurt, or kefir to the mix (stick to about 1/2 cup of this and sub it out for, say, banana or the extra dates, almond butter etc. 


These smoothies usually come out to about 200 calories and they're HUGE. Very satisfying and you're already at least 2-3 servings of veg and 2-3 servings of fruit down for your day! Not to mention this is a great option especially if you're trying to lose weight or make muscle gains. 


If your usual breakfast is commercial cereal, and you switch to smoothies, you WILL notice a change. You will notice more energy, better mood, better productivity, and better appetite control. 


Try it. I DARE YOU.


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts!